- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from early intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
2015 Pipe Organ Encounters
June 14 – 19, 2015
WICHITA CHAPTER – [Enrollment full – Registration is closed.]
Wichita State University, KS
Marlene Hallstrom, CAGO
5311 E. 27th Street N.
Wichita, KS 67220
Wichita POE Website
Wichita POE Brochure
July 5-10, 2015
NORTHWEST INDIANA CHAPTER – [Enrollment full – Registration is closed.]
Dr. Lorraine S. Brugh
Center for the Arts
1709 Chapel Dr.
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Northwest Indiana POE Website
Northwest Indiana Brochure
July 12 – July 17, 2015
COLUMBUS GEORGIA CHAPTER – [Enrollment full – Registration is closed.]
Columbus State University/River Center for the Performing Arts
2252 15th Street Unit #4
Columbus, GA 31906
Columbus (GA) POE Website
Columbus (GA) Brochure
July 26-31, 2015
BROOKLYN CHAPTER – [Enrollment full – Registration is closed.]
Brooklyn, New York
Eric Birk, FAGO, MM
c/o Ellen Wright
43 Hicks Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11201-6903
Brooklyn POE Website
Pipe Organ Encounter Scholarship Assistance
Limited scholarship aid is available to cover full or partial registration fee for attending a POE. Scholarship applications are reviewed monthly beginning in February. The application is available Jan. 15 through April 15 each year and asks questions of both the student and her/his parent(s), and also requires a letter of recommendation from the student’s organ or piano teacher. Both forms must be submitted before the POE Scholarship Committee can review a student application. The application deadline for 2015 POE events was April 15, 2015 (12:00 midnight the close of that day). Scholarship awards are based on financial need. Links to online application forms for 2016 events will appear here in January, 2016
Pipe Organ Encounters is an educational outreach program of the American Guild of Organists. Major funding for Pipe Organ Encounters is provided by the Associated Pipe Organ Builders of America. Additional support is provided by the American Institute of Organbuilders and the Jordan Organ Endowment. Permanently endowed AGO scholarships are provided in memory of Charlene Brice Alexander, Robert S. Baker, Seth Bingham, Michael Cohen, Virgil Fox, Clarence Dickinson, Philip Hahn, Charles N. Henderson, Alfred E. Lunsford, Ruth Milliken, Ned Siebert, and Martin M. Wick; and in honor of Anthony Baglivi, Philip E. Baker, Gordon and Naomi Rowley, Fred Swann, Morgan and Mary Simmons, and the Leupold Foundation.