The traditional Pipe Organ Encounter
- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Participants are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Participants should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for participants to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
Pipe Organ Encounters
for beginning and intermediate organists, ages 13-18
Registration opens Dec. 1, 2023
July 14-19, 2024
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Piedmont NC Chapter AGO
UNC School of the Arts
Director: Dr. Timothy J. Olsen
Email the Winston-Salem POE Director
Registration is scheduled to open in January, 2024.
Registration Deadline: June 15, 2023
[Brochure coming soon.]
AGO Covid Policy (Approved by AGO National Council Nov. 5, 2021)
All AGO events (chapter, regional and national) must follow the COVID policies/rules in place in the state and county where the event takes place, and any additional mandates of any facilities being used.
AGO leaders, may, at their discretion, enforce stricter policies than those of the state/county in which the AGO event takes place.
Pipe Organ Encounter Scholarship Assistance
Please click HERE for information about POE Scholarships.
Pipe Organ Encounters is an educational outreach program of the American Guild of Organists. Major funding for Pipe Organ Encounters is provided by the Associated Pipe Organ Builders of America. Additional support is provided by the American Institute of Organbuilders and the Jordan Organ Endowment. POE scholarships are provided by the AGO New Organist Fund.