- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
Click HERE for information on how to apply to attend a Pipe Organ Encounter 2016 event.
2016 Pipe Organ Encounters
June 26-July 1, 2016
CEDAR VALLEY CHAPTER
Wartburg College, Waverly, IA
Director: Dr. Karen Black
100 Wartburg Blvd.,
Waverly, Iowa 50677
Cedar Valley POE website
Brochure coming soon!
Pipe Organ Encounter Scholarship Assistance
Need-based scholarship aid is available to cover full or partial registration fees for attending a POE (POE, POEA, or POETech only, not POE+). Funds are limited, and scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarship applications are reviewed monthly beginning in February. The application is available Jan. 15 through April 15 each year and asks questions of both the student and her/his parent(s), and also requires a letter of recommendation from the student’s organ or piano teacher. Before applying for a scholarship, application to attend a POE must be submitted. All three forms (application to attend, student scholarship application, teacher recommendation form) must be submitted before the POE Scholarship Committee can review a student application. The application deadline for 2016 POE events is April 15, 2016 (12:00 midnight (EST) the close of that day). Please note that while April 15 is the last day one may apply for a scholarship, it is possible that all scholarship funds could be depleted before that, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. As stated above, scholarship awards are based on financial need. Links to online application forms for 2016 events will appear here in January, 2016.
Pipe Organ Encounters is an educational outreach program of the American Guild of Organists. Major funding for Pipe Organ Encounters is provided by the Associated Pipe Organ Builders of America. Additional support is provided by the American Institute of Organbuilders and the Jordan Organ Endowment. Permanently endowed AGO scholarships are provided in memory of Charlene Brice Alexander, Robert S. Baker, Seth Bingham, Michael Cohen, Virgil Fox, Clarence Dickinson, Philip Hahn, Charles N. Henderson, Alfred E. Lunsford, Ruth Milliken, Bruce Prince-Joseph, Ned Siebert, and Martin M. Wick; and in honor of Anthony Baglivi, Philip E. Baker, Gordon and Naomi Rowley, Fred Swann, Morgan and Mary Simmons, and the Leupold Foundation.