- Is a 5-6 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It provides a higher level of pipe organ instruction and intense course study.
- Is for students entering grades 9 through 12, who have achieved a high level of success in organ study. They must submit an audition recording and other supporting materials in order to apply to the POEA.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual instruction in pipe organ technique and performance with an artist faculty.
- Provides intermediate to advanced classes in areas such as organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, music theory, improvisation, conducting, and service playing.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
2016 Pipe Organ Encounter (Advanced)
July 10-15, 2016
University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, Cincinnati, OH
Director: Donna Wernz
266 Compton Ridge Dr.
Cincinnati, OH 45215
Cincinnati POE Advanced website
Pipe Organ Encounter Scholarship Assistance
Need-based scholarship aid is available to cover full or partial registration fees for attending a POE (POE, POEA, or POETech only, not POE+). Funds are limited, and scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarship applications are reviewed monthly beginning in February. The application is available Jan. 15 through April 15 each year and asks questions of both the student and her/his parent(s), and also requires a letter of recommendation from the student’s organ or piano teacher. Before applying for a scholarship, application to attend a POE must be submitted. All three forms (application to attend, student scholarship application, teacher recommendation form) must be submitted before the POE Scholarship Committee can review a student application. The application deadline for 2016 POE events is April 15, 2016 (12:00 midnight (EST) the close of that day). Please note that while April 15 is the last day one may apply for a scholarship, it is possible that all scholarship funds could be depleted before that, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. As stated above, scholarship awards are based on financial need. Links to online application forms for 2016 events will appear here in January, 2016.
Pipe Organ Encounters is an educational outreach program of the American Guild of Organists. Major funding for Pipe Organ Encounters is provided by the Associated Pipe Organ Builders of America. Additional support is provided by the American Institute of Organbuilders and the Jordan Organ Endowment. Permanently endowed AGO scholarships are provided in memory of Charlene Brice Alexander, Robert S. Baker, Seth Bingham, Michael Cohen, Virgil Fox, Clarence Dickinson, Philip Hahn, Charles N. Henderson, Alfred E. Lunsford, Ruth Milliken, Bruce Prince-Joseph, Ned Siebert, and Martin M. Wick; and in honor of Anthony Baglivi, Philip E. Baker, Gordon and Naomi Rowley, Fred Swann, Morgan and Mary Simmons, and the Leupold Foundation.