- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from early intermediate to advanced.
- Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
- Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
2015 Pipe Organ Encounters
Wichita Brochure (Coming soon!)
July 5-10, 2015
NORTHWEST INDIANA CHAPTER
Dr. Lorraine S. Bruch
Center for the Arts
1709 Chapel Dr.
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Indianapolis POE Website
July 12 – July 17, 2015
COLUMBUS GEORGIA CHAPTER
Columbus State University/River Center for the Performing Arts
2252 15th Street Unit #4
Columbus, GA 31906
Columbus (GA) POE Website
Pipe Organ Encounter Scholarship Assistance
Limited scholarship aid is available to cover full or partial registration fees for POEs. The online POE scholarship application is available here from mid-January until the May 15 application deadline. Scholarship awards are based entirely on financial need.
The application asks questions of both the student and her/his parent(s) and also requires a letter of recommendation from the student’s organ or piano teacher. Scholarship applications are reviewed monthly beginning in February.
[The application period for 2015 starts January 15, 2015.]
Pipe Organ Encounters is an educational outreach program of the American Guild of Organists. Major funding for Pipe Organ Encounters is provided by the Associated Pipe Organ Builders of America. Additional support is provided by the American Institute of Organbuilders and the Jordan Organ Endowment. Permanently endowed AGO scholarships are provided in memory of Charlene Brice Alexander, Robert S. Baker, Seth Bingham, Michael Cohen, Virgil Fox, Clarence Dickinson, Philip Hahn, Charles N. Henderson, Alfred E. Lunsford, Ruth Milliken, Ned Siebert, and Martin M. Wick; and in honor of Anthony Baglivi, Philip E. Baker, Gordon and Naomi Rowley, Fred Swann, Morgan and Mary Simmons, and the Leupold Foundation.