The Pipe Organ Encounter+
- Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization.
- Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POE+s on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be 19 or older, want to play the organ or currently play the organ in a church or synagogue, and be interested in improving their organ skills.
- Is open to organists ranging from beginners (proficient pianists who will learn the basics of organ playing) to advanced.
- Offers instruction in basic technique, pedaling, improvisation and registration for beginners, and skills such as hymn playing, sight reading and transposition (which may lead to qualifying as a candidate for the AGO Service Playing Certificate) for more experienced students. Other topics include a general overview of organ literature, history, and pipe organ construction and design.
- Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
- Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
2011 POE+ Photos
2014 Pipe Organ Encounter Plus
June 8-13, 2014
ROCKFORD (IL) CHAPTER
Gregory Gyllsdorff, FAGO, ChM
5922 Allerton Drive
Rockford, IL 61114
Rockford POEPlus Website