The purpose of the AGO Organ Scholar Program is to create a skills-based investment in young organists who have a strong interest in church music. The scholar will acquire practical experience through an immersive full-time church music program. The host institution/church should have an active and vibrant music program with a proven and capable leader.
Financial Obligation of Host Chapter
- $10,000: The affiliated AGO chapter will make ten monthly payments of $1,000 each to the Host Institution/Church who will apply them to the Organ Scholar’s salary. It is possible for two or three chapters to combine their resources to fulfill this obligation.
Financial Obligation of AGO National Headquarters
- $10,000: AGO National Headquarters will make ten monthly payments of $1,000 each to the Host Institution/Church who will apply them to the Organ Scholar’s salary.
Financial Obligations of Host Institution/Church
- $10,000: The Host Institution will provide at least $10,000 towards the Organ Scholar’s salary.
- Housing: The Host Institution will provide housing for the Organ Scholar. This should be described as a guesthouse or apartment with private living quarters. The Host Institution can also sign an apartment lease on the Organ Scholar’s behalf.
- Health Insurance: The Host Institution will provide or contribute to health insurance for the Organ Scholar and abide by employment practices such as withholding taxes and FICA.
Additional Requirements for the Host Institution:
- A Strong Music Ministry that is broad, dynamic, and able to offer considerable amounts of hands-on experience to a scholar. Any denomination is welcome.
- A Commitment to Mentoring the scholar actively and intentionally.
- A Safe and Healthy Work Environment by abiding by the AGO Code of Ethics and the Policy Against Harassment.
Application Process and Deadlines:
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
- Online Application Form: org/organ-scholar-program-hosting/.
- Prospective Host Institutions and Chapters should submit one application together.
- The AGO Committee on Scholarships will review the applications and recommend a Host Institution by November 1, 2023
Questions: Email Organscholar@agohq.org or Call (212) 870-2311, ext. 4320