Last updated: February 8, 2014 at 16:41 pm
Message from the Dean
This is your new dean. Hello to you.
There are lots of events coming up. I hope you will be there
THE CANTON CLARION
Thanks, to Bruce and Carolyn for making our March 17th visit to Alliance a memorable experience.
At 7:30 pm on Monday, April 22, we travel to Sacred Heart Catholic Church – 139 Third St. NE – New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663. ln a change from the previously listed program, we will hear a recital by Carolyn Wallace and Beth Fragasse, organists. Charles Kegg will be on hand to answer questions and talk about his newly installed instrument. Afterward, the instrument will be open to those who wish to give it a try. Don’t miss hearing and seeing this exciting instrument in a wonderful acoustical environment!
Note: This newsletter contains the information you will need for our bus tour in May. Please, refer to Mark Thewes’ article below for information about our May 11th trip to Youngstown. Be sure to contact Mark as soon as possible to reserve your place on the bus! See you at the meetings!
Happy Eastertide! – Ralph
UPCOMING CANTON AGO PROGRAMS
- Monday, April 22, 2013
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church, New Philadelphia
- 7:30 p.m. Recital on the New Kegg Pipe Organ
- Carolyn Wallace and Beth Fragasse, organists.
- Commentary on the organ by Charles KeggSaturday, May 11, 2013
Organ Bus Tour to Youngstown
7:30am bus pick up at Westbrook Park Parking Lot
Visit – Stambaugh Auditorium, St. Columba Cathedral, First UMC, and Christ Episcopal. Lunch along the way.
NOTES FROM THE SUB-DEAN
The bus seats 47. ALL CANTON AGO MEMBERS are welcome to come on a first come first served basis at no cost. This is one of our “meetings” and it will be free!. When we hit 47, then we are full! IF by Monday, May 6th we have empty seats, you will be allowed to take a guest/spouse (non member) for $10.00 per person. In the past these tours have been very popular, so do not wait, if you want to go, call or email me – Mark Thewes at 330-833-6301 or Teemark@aol.com with your reservation. Remember the first 47 will get to go! There is a restroom on the bus. – Mark Thewes – Sub-Dean, Program Chairperson
One of our past Canton AGO scholarship recipients, Mark Indorf, recently played organ and directed his church choir at Notré Dame Cathedral, Paris, which is celebrating its 850th year. What an honor to be asked to provide the musical leadership for worship at such a notable cathedral! To endorse a recent email quote from W. Robert Morrison: “Ohio boy makes good, I’d say.” Congratulations Mark!
[ PHOTO CAPTION:] Mark Indorf, and the choir of the English Church of St. Joseph, leading the worship music for a capacity congregation at Notré Dame Cathedral, Paris, France, February 23, 2013.
Date: 2013-03-11, 7:41PM
Mount Olivet United Church of Christ in North Lima, OH is seeking an organist for Sunday morning services, Thursday evening choir practice, and special services as deemed necessary. Please call Tina Davis @ 330-692-0430 or Kay Williams @ 234-855-7795 for further information.
News and web-links about public musical events may be submitted for inclusion in the Canton Clarion. Information should be submitted by the THIRD Friday of each month for inclusion in the following month’s newsletter. Submissions may be edited for brevity. NOTE: My email address remains: firstname.lastname@example.org – Thanks, Ralph
Akron AGO Upcoming Events –
• Dorothy Papadakos: An Evening with Charlie Chaplin (Silent Film & Organ) – Fri, Apr 19 – 8:00 pm – Holy Trinity Lutheran (Akron) // • Dorothy Papadakos – -(workshop, Akron AGO event) – Sat, Apr 20 – 10:00 am – Holy Trinity Lutheran (Akron) // For more Akron Chapter information visit: http://akronago.org/
• April 21st at 3:00 pm the Malone University Chorale and Concert Chorale will be performing a choral concert at Church of the Savior United Methodist Church, Canton. The choirs will be directed by Dr. David Donnelson, head of the choral department at Malone.
2012-13 Music Series at Christ Presbyterian Church, Canton
• Earth Day Celebration: Sunday, April 21, 10:30 a.m. Worship – Celebrating God’s Acts of Creation
• Compline (Prayer at the Close of Day): Sunday May 5, 2013, 8:00 pm – Christ Church Chancel Choir
[ Ed. Note – If your travels take you near Columbus: ]
• 3 p.m.- Sunday, April 21st – Columbus Chapter’s Annual Benefit Concert – North Broadway United Methodist Church, 48 East North Broadway Columbus, Ohio 43214
• Canton AGO Meeting, Monday, April 22, 2013 – Sacred Heart Catholic Church, New Philadelphia – 7:30 p.m. Recital -Carolyn Wallace and Beth Fragasse, organists – Charles Kegg, Commentary on the on the new Kegg Pipe Organ♬
• Friday, April 26 — 7:30 p.m – Mount Union Concert Choir – St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Alliance
• Saturday, April 27 — 7:30 p.m – Cantus Femina (Women’s choral ensemble from the University of Mount Union)
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 427 E. Broadway St., Alliance
The Youngstown Chapter – Stambaugh Organ Series – 2012-2013
• Sunday, April 28, Peter Richard Conte, 4 p.m.: Conte is the organist of the Wanamaker Organ in Macy’s, Philadelphia, the largest fully-functional musical instrument in the world.
Stambaugh Auditorium / 1000 Fifth Avenue, Youngstown, OH – E.M.Skinner – Opus 582
Ticket information 330.747.5175 or – website: http://www.stambaughauditorium.com/(Events)
• Canton AGO Meeting, Saturday, May 11, 2013 – Organ Bus Tour to Youngstown – 7:30am bus pick up at Westbrook Park Parking Lot – Visiting: Stambaugh Auditorium, St. Columba Cathedral, First UMC, and Christ Episcopal Church. Lunch along the way. Reservations – Contact: Mark Thewes
AGO National Website: http://www.agohq.org
Canton AGO Newsletter Webpage: http://agohq.org/chapter/?handle=canton
Charles Kegg organ builder and member of the Canton Chapter: www.keggorgan.com
Canton Symphony Orchestra <email@example.com>
Tuscarawas Philharmonic: http://tuscarawasphilharmonic.org/
Akron Chapter: http://akronago.org/
Buffalo (NY) AGO Chapter: http://agobuffalo.org
REGION V CONVENTION
SW Michigan Chapter
June 30–July 3, 2013
3424 Runnymede Dr.
Kalamazoo, MI 49004
CANTON CHAPTER OFFICERS
William A. Spiker
If you would like to join the Canton chapter, please contact:
Greg Hollinger – membership
email:firstname.lastname@example.org; 330-704-6543 cell or 843-706-9928 home
We have a master database of all Canton Chapter members since chapter founding in 1954. It is available on-request from Greg Hollinger. A listing of WR Morrison Concert Fund, Canton Chapter Scholarship Fund and AGO Fund contributors by giving LEVELS
Employers and job seekers are invited to post and search listings of available positions on the Guild’s National Website.
Ralph E. Morrison – Dean
Mark Thewes – Sub-Dean
William A. Spiker, Treasurer
Nancymae Bower Scheurer – Secretary
Greg Hollinger – Membership
330-704-6543 cell or 843-706-9928 home